Correlating shadows with seasons
Is it possible to not have a shadow?
Where on earth would you experience no shadow cast by the sun at noon?
- Shadows are affected by the location of the sun. Where is the sun in relation to the bike that is casting a shadow?
- What is unusual about the following image? What does this tell us about the location of the sun?
- What can make the location of the sun change other than the time of day? Why is the size of Shaq’s shadow changing over the course of a week? http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2002/21jun_shadows/
- Here is an investigation that you can do to explore the changing of seasons further: http://www.exploratorium.edu/ancientobs/chaco/HTML/TG-shadows.html
- What do you think? Where should we be standing to experience absolutely no shadow at noon?
Stian Martinsen. Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/vorty/148420150/
Drain. Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuffandnonsense/15402500/
Matt Benton. Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/z-two/4436536543/sizes/z/in/photostream/