What Does Sophie Sense?
Check out the video below of Sophie the dog. It turns out that Sophie is an earthquake early warning system!
Amazing But True!
- Sophie the dog is hanging out as her owner works. Suddenly, she runs out of the room. Next, the room begins to shake with an earthquake.
- Earthquake early warning systems work the same way a dog does.
- With a few minutes warning, people could move to a safer area, traffic could be kept from entering a freeway, manufacturing plants could be shut down and other precautions could be taken.
- Some nations are implementing emergency alarm systems. However, there are pros and cons to this, including cost, unnecessary panic, and minimal losses.
- Humans can often sense the early seismic waves, but they don’t know what they’re sensing.
Explore More/Show What You Know/Can You Apply It?
With the links below, learn more about sensing seismic waves. Then answer the following questions:
- My dog Sophie senses 6.5 earthquake in Eureka at the Times-Standard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFzcl-kZHo
- livescience, How on Earth? The Science Behind Earthquake Warnings: http://www.livescience.com/31412-earthquake-warnings-explained.html
- What do dogs and earthquake early warning systems detect before the earthquake appears to strike?
- Why does this work as an early warning for an earthquake?
- How close or far from the earthquake epicenter does an earthquake warning system work best and why?
- What would be the advantage of knowing that damaging seismic waves were coming only a few seconds to a few minutes ahead of them?
- Earthquake warning systems cannot predict earthquakes. What is the difference?