Infinity and Beyond
License: CC BY-NC 3.0
How many stars are there? How would you even try to answer that question?
Amazing But True!
- How could you figure out how many stars there are?
- Count all the stars in the night sky: that’s a pretty low number.
- Estimate the number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy and multiply by the number of galaxies
- How could you figure out the number of galaxies?
- One idea for the number of stars is:
- It is also thought that there are an infinite number of stars.
Show What You Know
With the link below, learn more about determining numbers of stars. Then answer the following questions.
- Why would you see the most stars when the air is dry and you’re at the top of a mountain?
- What do you see in a clear night sky besides stars?
- Why can’t astronomers with good telescopes just count the number of stars in the night sky?
- Besides looking and counting, how can astronomers try to determine how many stars are in the Milky Way Galaxy?
- One idea is that there is an infinite number of stars. What does that mean?