Tsar Bomba is the nickname for the most powerful explosion created by humans. The Soviet Union detonated this bomb as a test in 1961.
Amazing But True!
- Tsar Bomba had as much power as about 1500 times the power of both of the bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki and one-quarter the power of the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883.
- The explosion was so big that it detonated in the atmosphere; it’s shock wave wouldn’t let it hit the ground.
- The sun is a giant nuclear explosion that keeps exploding, yet is contained.
Nuclear fusion of hydrogen nuclei turning into helium creates the Sun's energy
- Fusion takes place in the sun’s core, where the temperature is 27,000,000°F.
Show What You Know
With the links below, learn more about nuclear fusion. Then answer the following questions.
- How did the sun form?
- How did Tsar Bomba make such a big explosion?
- How does the sun not explode all at once like Tsar Bomba did?
- What are the characteristics of stars that live longer and stars that live shorter periods of time?