A Living Building
Credit: W.L Tarbert
License: CC BY-NC 3.0
The Living Building Challenge is put out to people who are interested in creating the most advanced sustainable buildings.
Why It Matters
- With 7 billion of us and more coming, it is increasingly important to use resources and create wastes wisely.
- The challenge must meet several performance areas for site, water, energy health, materials, equality and beauty.
- The Tyson Environmental and Ecological Field Station and Washington University is the result of one of the winners of the challenge.
- The Tyson building cost $1.5 million, including all of the fixtures.
Show What You Know
With the link below, learn more about living buildings. Then answer the following questions.
- Science Friday, Creating a Living Building, http://www.sciencefriday.com/video/03/12/2010/creating-a-living-building.html
- What is the goal of the Living Building Challenge?
- What are some of the benchmarks these buildings have to meet?
- What happens to the waste material that enters a composting toilet?
- Why is there no waste in a living system?
- How can builders bring down the costs of sustainable buildings?