Discovery at CERN
If you watch The Big Bang Theory you may know that something expected yet fantastic was discovered on July 4, 2012. Sheldon Cooper was excited about the Higgs Boson.
Amazing But True!
- The discovery of the Higgs boson may have been the most important discovery of the 21st century, at least in particle physics.
- The Higgs field explains why objects have mass.
- Scientists cautiously said that they discovered a boson with a mass of 125.3 billion electron volts, consistent with the higgs.
With the links below, learn more about the Higgs boson. Then answer the following questions.
- SciShow, Higgs Boson Discovery! We Think? (video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb8mPtdARMk
- How is a particle collider used to find a mysterious subatomic particle?
- Which particle doesn’t happens interact with the Higgs field and what properties does it have?
- How was scientific method used in this discovery?
- What practical applications might this discovery someday have?