Ice Sculpture Science
Few people understand frozen water as well as the artists who create ice sculptures. To create a sculpture that is clear and well frozen takes a lot of effort.
Why It Matters
- Artists who make ice sculptures must have a perfect block of ice to work with.
- Ice is hard so power tools are great for carving the block of ice.
- When the ice first comes out of the freezer it experiences thermal shock. The surface warms faster than the inside.
With the link below, learn more about ice for ice sculptures. Then answer the following questions.
- Science Friday, What’s So Cool About Frozen Water? http://youtu.be/jx95r6HnnYM
- What happens when ice melts? What is needed to make ice melt?
- What makes a block of ice cloudy and why?
- How do the artists create a block of ice that is not cloudy?
- Why do cracks form on the surface of a layer of ice on a pond (or on Europa)?