Why Isn't Olympus Mons on Earth?
Olympus Mons on Mars is a giant shield volcano. All of the Hawaiian Islands would fit across the diameter of the mountain. Their total mass would by tiny compared with this giant.
Why Doesn’t Earth Have Such a Big Mountain?
With the link below, learn more about the factors that limit the height of mountains on Earth. Then answer the following questions.
- Minute Earth, How Tall Can Mountains Be? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIWhzYq16Ro
- How do the mechanical properties of the upper mantle (asthenosphere) limit the height of a mountain on Earth?
- What happens if the lithosphere sinks too far into the mantle?
- How do plate tectonics processes lower the height of mountains on Earth?
- Earth has a much thicker atmosphere than Mars. How does Earth’s atmosphere limit mountain height?