What if you wanted to find the "length" of the crust for an entire pizza? A typical large pizza has a diameter of 14 inches and is cut into 8 or 10 pieces. Think of the crust as the circumference of the pizza. Find the circumference.
Circumference is the distance around a circle. The circumference can also be called the perimeter of a circle. However, we use the term circumference for circles because they are round. The term perimeter is reserved for figures with straight sides. In order to find the formula for the circumference of a circle, we first need to determine the ratio between the circumference and diameter of a circle.
Tools Needed: paper, pencil, compass, ruler, string, and scissors
- Draw three circles with radii of 2 in, 3 in, and 4 in. Label the centers of each
A,B, and C.
- Draw in the diameters and determine their lengths. Are all the diameter lengths the same in
⨀A? ⨀B? ⨀C?
- Take the string and outline each circle with it. The string represents the circumference of the circle. Cut the string so that it perfectly outlines the circle. Then, lay it out straight and measure, in inches. Round your answer to the nearest
18-inch. Repeat this for the other two circles.
circumferencediameterfor each circle. Record your answers to the nearest thousandth. What do you notice?
Finding the Circumference
Find the circumference of a circle with a radius of 7 cm.
Plug the radius into the formula.
Finding the Diameter
Finding the Circumference in Terms of Pi
From the picture, we can see that the diameter of the circle is equal to the length of a side. Use the circumference formula.
Pizza Problem Revisited
Find the perimeter of the square. Is it more or less than the circumference of the circle? Why?
The tires on a compact car are 18 inches in diameter. How far does the car travel after the tires turn once? How far does the car travel after 2500 rotations of the tires?
Find the radius of circle with circumference 88 in.
Use the formula for circumference and solve for the radius.
- Find the radius of circle with circumference 88 in.
- Find the circumference of a circle with
- Find the length of the diameter of
- How does the diameter relate to
- Find the perimeter of
- Find the circumference of
- A truck has tires with a 26 in diameter.
- How far does the truck travel every time a tire turns exactly once?
- How many times will the tire turn after the truck travels 1 mile? (1 mile = 5280 feet)
- Jay is decorating a cake for a friend’s birthday. They want to put gumdrops around the edge of the cake which has a 12 in diameter. Each gumdrop is has a diameter of 1.25 cm. To the nearest gumdrop, how many will they need?
- Bob wants to put new weather stripping around a semicircular window above his door. The base of the window (diameter) is 36 inches. How much weather stripping does he need?
- Each car on a Ferris wheel travels 942.5 ft during the 10 rotations of each ride. How high is each car at the highest point of each rotation?
To view the Review answers, open this PDF file and look for section 10.8.