Feel free to "make a copy" or print out this studyguide to complete the excercises and annotate where it helps you.
Vocabulary: Lines and Angles
Line: A line is 180 degrees, equivalent to all of the degrees in a triangle summed up. It extends indefinitely and has infinite points. Because it is 180 degrees, it has no curves and also has no volume. There are three main forms for graphing a line, slope intercept form, point slope form, and standard form.
Line segment: A line segment has definite endpoints. It also is straight and is 180 degrees but has restrictions on its ends. It doesn't have arrows, but rather has dots to represent these restrictions.
Concurrent: when 3 or more lines meet at a single point (example: triangle)
Can you think of any other concurrent shapes?
Angle: the amount of "turn" between two lines that intersect at a common vertex, measured in degrees.
Parallel: When two lines have the same slope, lie on the same plane and never intersect
Supplementary Angles: Angles that add up to 180 degrees, form straight line
Tangent (Lines): a line that runs through a point on the edge of a circle but never intersects the whole circle and is perpendicular to the radius
Transversal: a line that intersects at least two other lines
Adjacent angles: Adjacent angles are angles that are next to each other. They have a common side, a common vertex, and don't overlap.
Check Your Understanding: Fill in the Blanks
Try completing the fill in the blanks without referencing back at the definitions. If you are having trouble with a specific problem, then review the guide above, but try your best to see what you remember using just your brain.
- A _____ extends indefinitely.
- A line segment has ____ on each of its ends.
- If point B is the midpoint on line segment AC, then segments AB and BC are _____.
- The set of all points collinear would be the equation for the specific line because ______.
- An example of a concurrent shape is a ______.
- An angle is measured in _____.
- Parallel lines have the same _____. They _____ intersect.
- These angles are ______.
- Angles that form a _______ are supplementary.
- ____ lines are always perpendicular to the radius.
- The common endpoint of two or more rays is the ______.
- A transversal is a line that _____ two or more lines.
- Adjacent angles have a common ____ and .
Fill in the Blanks: Answers
- (because) it would contain at least three points on the same line
- slope, never
- straight line
- side, vertex