Why drink water?
It's always a good idea to drink plenty of fluids, especially when you have been exercising. Drinking plenty of water helps to flush away materials that might form kidney stones. Staying hydrated is the best way to prevent kidney stones.
Problems of the Excretory System
In some cases, certain mineral wastes can form kidney stones ( Figure below ). Stones form in the kidneys and may be found anywhere in the urinary system. They vary in size. Some stones cause great pain, while others cause very little pain. Some stones may need to be removed by surgery or ultrasound treatments.
A kidney stone. The stones can form anywhere in the urinary system.
Kidney failure happens when the kidneys cannot remove wastes from the blood. If the kidneys are unable to filter wastes from the blood, the wastes build up in the body. Kidney failure can be caused by an accident that injures the kidneys, the loss of a lot of blood, or by some drugs and poisons. Kidney failure may lead to permanent loss of kidney function. But if the kidneys are not seriously damaged, they may recover.
Chronic kidney disease is the slow decrease in kidney function that may lead to permanent kidney failure. A person who has lost kidney function may need to get kidney dialysis. Kidney dialysis is the process of filtering the blood of wastes using a machine. A dialysis machine ( Figure below ) filters waste from the blood by pumping the blood through a fake kidney. The filtered blood is then returned to the patient’s body.
During dialysis, a patient’s blood is sent through a filter that removes waste products. The clean blood is returned to the body.
Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are bacterial infections of any part of the urinary tract. When bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and produce more bacteria in the urine, they cause a UTI. The most common type of UTI is a bladder infection. Women get UTIs more often than men. UTIs are often treated with antibiotics.
- kidney dialysis : Process of filtering wastes from the blood using a machine.
- kidney failure : Inability of the kidneys to remove wastes from the blood or to maintain homeostasis.
- kidney stone : Small hard mass in the kidney that forms from waste minerals.
- urinary tract infection : Bacterial infection of any part of the urinary tract.
- Disorders of the urinary system include kidney stones, kidney failure, and urinary tract infections.
- Kidney dialysis is the process of filtering wastes from the blood using a machine.
Use the resource below to answer the questions that follow.
- The Basics of Kidney Disease at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY4VvAjYLBU (6:24)
- What is kidney disease? What is chronic kidney disease? How are they similar, and how do they differ?
- What is kidney failure? How can people deal with kidney failure?
- What are the top two causes of kidney disease?
- How can doctors test for kidney disease? How can they treat kidney disease?
- What is a urinary tract infection?
- Why is kidney failure such a serious health problem?