Caribbean Reef Squid (Sepioteuthis sepioidea), school hovering over a tropical coral reef off the island of Roatan, Honduras
A creepy castle in Transylvania...a thunderous storm...a flash of lightning...a crackle..."Alive! It's Alive". Whether you are familiar with the book by Mary Shelley, the numerous movies or even the cartoons, Frankenstein is probably a name you've heard before. A mad scientist animates a body made of dead pieces and his secret ingredient...electricity.
- The Squid's Giant Axon at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omXS1bjYLMI
- Action Potential From Squids at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k48jXzFGMc8
- What characteristics of the squid axon made it perfect to study properties of the nervous system?
- Why did researchers feel the giant tubes they were seeing in squids were not just blood vessels? Does this reasoning seem valid to you? Why or why not?
- What did researchers learn when they isolated the contents of the squid axon? Why was it so incredible and important that they could isolate the contents of a single cell?