This is the original flier used to attract rural African-Americans to participate in the Tuskegee Experiment.
I Thought Doctors Helped People?
Doctors do help people all the time! But doctors are people too, and some doctors get blinded by science. One of the saddest examples in US history started in the 1930's and went on way too long.
- The Tuskegee Experiment at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YK7CNvum8
- The Tuskegee Study at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66MmTipX1E
Use the resources below to answer the following questions:
- What are the symptoms of syphilis? How is is contracted? What can happen if syphilis goes untreated?
- What treatment did the men in this experiment receive? Was this the treatment they thought they were receiving?
- What happened to the men who participated in this study and their families?
- Did the people who conducted the experiment feel they had done anything wrong? How do you think they justified their actions?