Turned To Stone
It's No Myth
In Greek mythology, the gaze of Medusa would turn people to stone. In fact, the idea of creatures turning people to stone is fairly universal and appears in numerous cultures. Now, those creatures may not exist, but there is a disease, and while people don't actually turn to stone, they do feel as though they have. Is this disease the source of the myths? Maybe.
- Rare Disease - Causing People To Turn To Stone at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsFPt0FATJc
Use the resources below to answer the following questions:
- What happens to the muscles, ligaments and tendons of someone who has FOP? What is the effect of these changes on the sufferer?
- When can you tell if someone has FOP? What is the key sign? Are there other conditions that can cause similar symptoms?
- Why is FOP sometimes mistaken for cancer? What is the distinguishing difference in the symptom that causes this confusion?
- How does FOP hamper mobility? What is the problem with the bone generated by a person who suffers from FOP? How are the muscles affected?
- How common is FOP? What is the cause? What is the prognosis for someone who suffers from FOP?