Sure, I'll Clean Your Blood
You may have heard that "cleanliness is next to godliness", and certainly someone must have to told you to wash your hands or take a bath more than once? So you probably have the idea that being clean is a big deal. But, what if what needs to be cleaned is on the inside? Hmmmm, soap and water won't do the job then. But if it's your blood that's dirty, don't worry. You can always turn to dialysis.
- Kidney Dialysis - Matthew's Story at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyWcEfT6D44
Now, that you know what it's like for a person, find out more of the details of what's happening on a small scale.
- Dialysis Basics at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q09QraVPZ7k
Use the resources below to answer the following questions:
- Describe how diffusion affects dialysis? Are you surprised that such a simple process is key to dialysis? Why or why not?
- In dialysis, what is the dialysate? What properties must it have relative to the blood for dialysis to work?
- What is the difference between hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis? What type of dialysis does Matthew undergo? Which would you prefer to undergo? Why would you make this choice?