You might see this universal warning sign for radiation in a hospital. A hospital is a place for healing. Why would it have a sign warning people of dangerous radiation?
Why It Matters
- Radionuclide therapy might be one reason. Radionuclide therapy is a method of curing cancer that uses radioactive isotopes.
- Watch this excellent animated video showing how radionuclide therapy works:
Can You Apply It?
At the link below, learn more about beta decay and its uses. Then answer the questions that follow.
- Who discovered beta decay? What is another name for beta particles?
- Beta particles have a lot of energy. What does it take to stop them?
- What is radionuclide therapy?
- Explain how radionuclide therapy works.
- What is another real-world application of beta decay?