How does radiation affect you?
On April 26, 1986, Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine exploded and caught on fire, releasing large quantities of radioactive particles into the atmosphere. The Chernobyl disaster is considered the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, contaminating over 100,000 km² of land in Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia. There were also many health impacts, including thyroid cancer, with over 4,000 cases reported.
Real World Application
- Research more about this disaster. How many deaths occurred?
- How is this specific incident still directly affecting people today?
- What is the signature mark that many people who survived the disaster have?
- Is the radiation still in our environment today?
- Research Three Mile Island. How is this incident similar to Chernobyl? How is it different?