Electricity makes much of modern life possible. It’s easy to forget just how deadly it can be and get careless around electric power lines like these. That’s exactly what happened to Shawn Miller.
Why It Matters
- High-voltage power lines are an important part of the electrical grid. Unfortunately, accidental contact with powerlines sometimes happens. When it occurs, it usually results in death.
- Shawn Miller is one of the lucky ones. Watch this video to learn how Shawn barely survived a careless close encounter with a powerline:
Show What You Know
Learn more about avoiding the dangers of powerlines at the link below. Then answer the questions that follow.
- How did Shawn Miller in the video above come into contact with high-voltage power lines?
- Shawn knew the dangers of electricity and had even done electrical work. Why wasn’t he more careful around the high-voltage power lines?
- How was Shawn injured by the high-voltage electricity that passed through his body?
- What activities put people at risk of contact with power lines?
- Why does electricity always travel from power lines to the ground if it can? When can this happen?
- List five ways to stay safe around power lines.