Do you have a messy desk? Is it hard to get organized? Whether you’re organized or not, you probably know that being organized can make life a lot easier.
Why It Matters
- Organization can be the key to success in many areas of life. For example, organizing the information in a reading passage with a concept map can help you make sense of the information, see how concepts are related, and remember details more easily.
- The same thing goes for the elements that make up all of matter. Elements are pure substances that can’t be separated into other substances. There were almost 120 known elements as of 2012. That’s a lot of elements to remember!
- What are their properties? How do they behave? Organizing the elements is the best way to understand and remember this information. That’s what the modern periodic table of the elements does. Watch this video to learn how and why the elements are organized in the modern periodic table: http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/jams/science/matter/periodic-table.htm
Can You Apply It?
With the link below, learn more about the modern periodic table. Then answer the following questions.
- Each cell of the periodic table represents one element. What information does it give about the element?
- Explain in general terms how the modern periodic table of the elements is organized.
- Compare and contrast periods and groups in the periodic table.
- Where are elements known as metals found in the periodic table? What percentage of all elements are metals?
- How can you tell from the periodic table the state of a given element at room temperature?
- How does the periodic table help you learn about elements?
- The periodic table of the elements is a very useful organizational tool in science. What are some organizational tools you use in your daily life? How do they make your life easier?