Bed of Nails
Lying on a bed of nails—now that’s got to hurt! Whatever you do, don’t try it at home!
Amazing but True!
- Lying on a bed of nails is a well-known martial arts “trick.” Watch as a martial artist not only lies on a bed of nails but even has a concrete block broken over his chest:
- Is this an example of mind over matter? Or is it just a stage trick?
- Neither. Now watch as two scientists demonstrate that lying on a bed of nails may not really be as bad as it looks:
Can You Apply It?
At the link below, learn the physics behind lying on a bed of nails. Then answer the questions that follow.
- What is force? How much force is exerted upward on your body by whatever your body rests on?
- What is pressure? How is it related to area?
- When you step on a single nail, it pierces your foot. When you lie on a bed of nails, the nails do not even pierce your skin. Explain why.