This swimming pool at the London Aquatic Centre was the site of the swimming and diving events in the 2012 Summer Olympics. The pool was designed to be a fast pool.
News You Can Use
- Unless you’re a competitive swimmer, you probably didn’t even know that some swimming pools are faster than others. But if you’re an Olympic swimmer, like Missy Franklin, then you know that pool design can affect swimming speed. It all has to do with waves.
- Watch this video to see what makes some swimming pools faster than others: http://www.nbclearn.com/summerolympics/cuecard/59599
Show What You Know
Learn more about fast pool design at the link below. Then answer the following questions.
- What is a wave?
- Swimmers disturb the water and cause waves. How does this affect their speed?
- Identify features of fast pools and explain how they minimize waves.
- Why are the outer lanes of a pool often left empty during swimming competitions?