Do you recognize this model? It represents a DNA molecule. DNA is the molecule that carries genetic information in virtually all living cells. It can also act as a switch.
The Back Story
- Scientists have figured out a way to turn DNA inside cells into a biological transistor. A transistor is an electronic device that acts like a switch, turning electricity on or off.
- A biological transistor also acts like it switch. But it turns something other than electricity on or off. Watch this short video to learn more about it:
Read about the DNA switch at the link below. Then answer the questions that follow.
- Electronic transistors regulate the flow of electrons along metal wires. In a computer, this determines how calculations are processed. What does a DNA transistor regulate?
- What is a possible real-world application of DNA switches?
- The scientists are also trying to create the biological equivalent of the Internet. What would this require?