Imagine floating in space outside the International Space Station, like the astronaut pictured here. What an exciting career! Did you ever want to become an astronaut? A good place to start is by getting a degree in physical science.
Studying Physical Science
Physical science is the study of matter and energy. It includes the sciences of chemistry and physics. Most careers in physical science require a 4-year college degree in one of these fields. Some careers require more advanced education as well. For example, an astronaut might have a master’s degree or even a doctoral degree.
Q: Besides becoming an astronaut, a degree in physical science can prepare you for many other careers. What careers do you think might be available to people with degrees in physical science?
A: People with degrees in physical science might become pharmacists, forensic technicians, or research scientists, to name just three possible careers. Four additional careers in physical science are described below.
Careers in Chemistry and Physics
Training in the physical science field of chemistry or physics is needed for the careers described in the Figure below. Do any of these careers interest you? You can learn more about careers in these fields at these URLs:
- http://www.chem4kids.com/files/etcetera_careers.html (chemistry)
- http://www.aps.org/careers/ (physics)
These careers in chemistry and physics vary in the level of education they require.
- Physical science includes the fields of chemistry and physics. Most careers in physical science require a minimum of 4 years of college in one of these fields.
- Examples of careers in physical science include pharmacist, laboratory supervisor, teacher, and surveyor.
Read about careers in chemistry and physics at these URLs, and then make a table like the one shown in the Table below to summarize the information for one career in each field. Choose careers that interest you.
|Science||Nature of Work||Training||Employment||Job Outlook|
- What preparation is usually needed for a career in physical science?
- Describe three possible careers in physical science.