Stronger than Steel
These law enforcement officers are suiting up for work. They will be protected by something that has saved the lives of thousands of law enforcement officers. It’s not a weapon or some high-tech gadget. Can you guess what it is?
Amazing But True!
- It’s Kevlar®, a synthetic fiber that is used to make bulletproof vests. How can a fiber be strong enough to deflect bullets? Believe or not, Kevlar® is five times stronger than steel!
- The strength and other properties of Kevlar® make it useful for many purposes. In fact, it has been called the most important synthetic organic fiber ever developed.
- The work of a skilled and dedicated chemist led to the discovery of Kevlar®. Learn how Kevlar® was discovered and other ways it is used by watching the following video: http://www.nbclearn.com/chemistrynow/cuecard/55326.
- The discovery of this important fiber is a good example of the wide scope of physical science.
Read more about Kevlar® and its inventor at the link below. Then answer the questions that follow.
- Who discovered Kevlar®? When and how was it discovered?
- Why is Kevlar® so strong?
- Besides great strength, what are some other properties of Kevlar®?
- What are some uses of Kevlar®, in addition to bulletproof vests?