You’re feeling hungry, and a pizza sounds good. So you sit down at your desk, warm up your computer, and turn on your printer. Within minutes, a delicious pizza pops out of the printer!
Amazing But True!
- It sounds like science fiction, but printers that can create 3D objects already exist. It’s just a matter of time before a 3D printer will be able to print out pizzas or other food items of your choice.
- Why would you want to be able to print out a pizza? Imagine being an astronaut on Mars and getting a craving for pizza. You couldn’t call your corner pizza shop and order a pizza to go. But if you had a 3D printer that could print out a pizza, you’d have it made!
- NASA is actually investing money in the development of a printer that can print pizzas, among other kinds of foods. You can learn more about it by watching the video and reading the short article at this link: http://www.space.com/21250-nasa-3d-food-printer-pizza.html
- To learn the basics about how a 3D printer works, watch this video:
What Do You Think?
With the links below, learn more about 3D printers and some of the items they have already been used to create. Then answer the following questions.
- How is the process of making an object with a 3D printer a little like making a loaf of sliced bread in reverse?
- Describe how a 3D printer would create a pizza.
- What are some items that have already been made with 3D printers?
- What are some of the current constraints on 3D printing technology?
- In another generation, we may be printing out most of the products we need on in-home 3D printers. What environmental problems might this help to solve?
- Developers of 3D printers think they might one day help to solve the problem of world hunger. What do you think?