If you’re a techie who loves fashion, then a career in wearable technology might be right for you.It’s at the cutting edge of both engineering and fashion design.
News You Can Use
- Wearable technology ranges from prom dresses with swirling LED lights to self-cleaning, shape-changing apparel. From jackets with embedded GPS units to spacesuits with built-in computers, the design of wearable technology is a new and exciting career.
- Watch this video to learn more about wearable technology from people who have careers in this field: http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/04/25/179077634/video-the-future-of-wearable-technology
- One of the leaders in the field of wearable technology is Dr. Lucy Dunne. You can learn more about Dr. Dunne and her views on the field in this interview: http://www.clintzeagler.com/2013/06/19/interview-lucy-dunne-on-space-fashion-and-iswc-design-exhibition/
What Do You Think?
With the links below, learn more about wearable technology and professionals like Dr. Lucy Dunne whose careers bridge the fields of engineering and fashion design. Then answer the following questions.
- Dr. Lucy Dunne thinks that people adopt new trends in technology for different reasons than they adopt new trends in fashion. What’s the difference?
- What are three projects that Dr. Dunne is working on with her students?
- What does Dr. Dunne think is the perfect outfit for space travel?
- What type of education would help prepare you for a career in wearable technology?
- What do you think? If you had a career designing wearable technology, what are some projects you would like to work on?