It’s just a teen enjoying a day on the slopes. But wait—he’s not skiing in the Rockies, Alps, or any other mountains. He’s not even skiing in a place that ever gets snow. He’s skiing indoors at a mall in the Arabian city of Dubai!
Amazing but True!
- Dubai is a desert city in a very hot climate, but you’d never know it from its indoor ski resort. It’s not the only indoor ski resort in the world. There may even be one near you.
- But Ski Dubai is the first indoor ski resort in the Middle East. It’s also one of the biggest and most impressive indoor ski resorts in the world. It has a total of 22,500 square meters covered with snow. That’s as big as three football fields! There are also jumps and lifts and other features that you’d expect at any ski resort, indoors or out.
- How do they keep it so cold inside the resort that the snow doesn’t turn to slush? Watch this video to find out: http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/how-do-they-do-it/videos/how-do-they-do-it-indoor-ski-resort.htm
Show What You Know
Learn more about Ski Dubai at the links below. Then answer the following questions.
- How does Ski Dubai’s cooling system work?
- How is heat kept out of the Ski Dubai resort?
- How is snow made at Ski Dubai
- How is the snow recycled?