Smaller Than Protons and Neutrons
Initially proposed in 1964, the quark model was proposed by Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig. The image shows a proton that is made up of three subatomic particles known as quarks: 2 up quarks and 1 down quark.
News You Can Use
- All particles that interact via the strong interaction are known as hadrons. These hadrons can be further classified as either baryons and mesons. Whether baryon or meson, each is made up of two or three more elementary particles. These elementary particles are made up of particles called quarks.
- There are 6 types of quarks:
- All quarks have several intrinsic properties as well, these are:
- electric charge
- Using the link to the table of properties of quarks and the video below to answer the following questions about quarks.
- Quark Properties: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarks#cite_note-PDGQuarks-72
- Standard Model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnsMGNicho
Show What You Know
Using the information provided above, answer the following questions.
- A neutron is made up of types and total number of quarks?
- Do fermions or bosons have integer spin?
- What force keeps the quarks together in a proton?