Gaming Statistics Graphs
Gaming Statistics Graphs
- Categorical data
- Qualitative data
- Numerical data
- Quantitative data
- Discrete data
- Continuous data
For what types of data are different graphs more useful?
A student at Online Education created the following collage of graphic representations of different videogame statistics. They got the data from the following website, http://www.grabstats.com/statcategorymain.asp?StatCatID=13.
Check it out!
Collage of different graphs representing of different videogame statistics.
Source: Online Education
- Which graphs do you recognize? There are pie charts, histograms, and bar graphs.
- Which graphs represent categorical data (qualitative data)? Primary Console Players, Console Wars, Handheld Console Wars, Percentage of Console Failure within First 2 Years of Ownership, Video Game Sales and Software Sales are the graphs that represent categorical data.
- Which graphs represent numerical data (quantitative data)? Gamer Age Distribution, and Age of New Gamers vs. Established Gamers are the graphs that represent categorical data.
- Which graphs represent discrete data? All of the graphs represent discrete data graphs.
- Which graphs represent continuous data? There are no graphs that represent continuous data.
- Choose one graph and explain how you would represent it with another type of graph. How would the new graph better represent the data?
Now, check out this visual guide to determining what type of graph is the most appropriate for your data. It is from Andrew Abela’s book “Advanced Presentations by Design” (2008).
Visual guide for chart suggestions.
Use Abela’s guide to represent another set of data from http://www.grabstats.com/statcategorymain.asp?StatCatID=13.
- Choose a set of data, one that was not used in the collage above.
- Create your own graphic display of the data that is appropriate for the set data.
- Scan and upload your graph to the CK-12’s website to share with other students! You can also use educreations.com to record your discussion of your double box-and-whisker plots and then upload your video to the CK-12’s website!
Connections to other CK-12 Subject Areas
- Line Graphs
- Broken-Line Graphs
- Stem-and-Leaf Plots
- Pie Charts
- Box-and-Whisker Plots
- Applications of Box-and-Whisker Plots
- Applications of Histograms
- Frequency Polygons
- Scatter Plots
- Linear Regression Equations
- Double Line Graphs
- Two-Sided Stem-and-Leaf Plots
- Double Box-and-Whisker Plots
- Bar Graphs
- Double Bar Graphs