Mean Length of a Celebrity Marriage
Determining the Mean Length of a Celebrity Marriage
- Measure of Central Tendency
What is the mean length of a celebrity marriage?
The world was in an uproar when Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from Kris Humphries after only 72 days of marriage. The couple dated for six months before getting engaged and then had a publicized, dramatic two-day wedding special, “Kim’s Fairytale Wedding.” Shortly after Time.com published an article on the “Top 10 Short-Lived Celebrity Marriages.”
- Examine the Time’s list of the Top 10 celebrity marriages and then find the mean length of a celebrity marriage.
- What is the mode length of a celebrity marriage according to Time’s list?
- What is the median length of a celebrity marriage according to Time’s list?
- What measure of central tendency do you think is the most useful for analyzing the length of a celebrity marriage? Explain.
- What about the set up of this problem causes our data to generate inaccurate measures of the mean, median, and mode length of a celebrity marriage? Explain.
- Propose a more accurate method.
Check out this model of mean that uses Legos!
- Why does the Lego structure tip over when the bottom piece is put at 2? Explain.
- Why does the Lego structure stay balanced when the bottom piece is put at 3? Explain.
- Do you have your own Legos? Build a larger structure (with an interesting or random design) and then test the structure. Place a block on the bottom of your structure at different points to test where the structure will be balanced. Does it stay balanced at the mean value? Take photos and upload it to the CK-12 website and share it with other users!
Connections to other CK-12 Subject Areas
- Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion