At the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Read and understand given problem situations.
- Develop and use the strategy: Choose a Function Model.
- Develop and use the strategy: Make a Model.
- Plan and compare alternative approaches to solving problems.
- Solve real-world problems using selected strategies as part of a plan.
Terms introduced in this lesson:
Teaching Strategies and Tips
The lesson presents several mathematical models arising from real-world applications in the examples.
Encourage students to read and understand the modeling process presented as a flow chart in the introduction.
In each of the examples, present and compare several regressions side-by-side. Allow students to see how accurate each is.
General Tip: Students rush to calculate the regression not stopping to consider its appropriateness. A scatter plot should always be consulted first.
General Tip: Have students check the data points they have inputed into a calculator twice.
General Tip: On the TI graphing calculators, students should be using LinReg or LinRegto perform linear regressions and not LnReg.