This activity is intended to supplement Trigonometry, Chapter 6, Lesson 4.
Plotting Coordinates & Exploring Polar Graphs
The coordinates of a polar curve are given as .
1. Plot and label the following points on the graph below: and .
2. If , what is ?
3. Graph . What is the shape of the graph?
4. Using your graphing calculator, explore polar graphs by changing the equation from #3. Try to generate the graphs listed below. Which of the graphs were you able to make? Write the equation next to the graph shape.
- rose with even number of petals
- rose with odd number of petals
- limaçon with an inner loop