Student Behavioral Objectives
- define matter and explain how it is composed of building blocks known as atoms.
- explain the differences between substances and mixtures.
- classify mixtures as homogeneous or heterogeneous.
- identify the chemical symbols of common elements.
- explain the difference between an element and a compound by their symbols or formulas.
- demonstrate the proper use of parentheses and subscripts in writing chemical formulas.
- determine the number of atoms and name of each element in a compound.
Timing, Standards, Activities
Timing and California Standards
Number of 60 min periods
What is Matter?
Activities for Lesson 1
1. What is Matter Worksheet
1. The Scientific Method and the Socratic Method
Answers for What is Matter (L1) Review Questions
Sample answers to these questions are available upon request. Please send an email to email@example.com to request sample answers.