Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system fails to recognize the body’s own molecules as “self,” or belonging to the person.
- There are more than 80 known autoimmune diseases.
- The type of autoimmune disorder depends on the type of body tissue that is affected.
- These diseases cannot be cured, although they can be treated to relieve symptoms and prevent some of the long-term damage they cause.
- Some relatively common autoimmune diseases are listed in Table below.
- They include rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis and rheumatic fever.