Select from the frequently asked questions below
- The excretory system gets rid of waste and excess water.
- Although the kidneys are the main organs of excretion, several other organs also excrete wastes.
- These include the large intestine, liver, skin, and lungs.
- The amount of water lost in urine is controlled by the kidneys.
- The roles of the excretary organs other than the kidney are summarized below.
- The large intestine eliminates solid wastes that remain after the digestion of food.
- The liver breaks down excess amino acids and toxins in the blood.
- The lungs exhale water vapor and carbon dioxide.
The lungs are considered to be a part of the respiratory system, but they could still be considered part of the excretory system. Why do you think this is the case?