Select from the frequently asked questions below
- A day or two after an ovary releases an egg, the egg may unite with a sperm.
- Sperm are deposited in the vagina during sexual intercourse.
- They propel themselves through the uterus and enter a fallopian tube.
- This is where fertilization usually takes place.
- When a sperm penetrates the egg, it triggers the egg to complete meiosis.
- The resulting cell, called a zygote, contains all the chromosomes needed for a new human organism.
- Half the chromosomes come from the egg and half from the sperm.