Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Viruses are extensively used in research and medicine to both understand basic biology and to improve human health.
- Viral therapy shows promise as a method of gene therapy and in the treatment of cancer.
- In gene therapy, the correct version of the gene is introduced to human cells by using a viral vector such as the adenovirus.
- If the treatment is successful, the new gene will get into the nucleus and into the target cell DNA to make a functional protein.
- Oncolytic viruses are viruses that lyse and kill cancer cells.