Q: What are the characteristics of acids?
What are the characteristics of acids?
- Acids are ionic compounds that produce positive hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water.
- Acids taste sour, conduct electricity when dissolved in water, and react with metals to produce hydrogen gas.
- Certain indicator compounds, such as litmus, can be used to detect acids. Acids turn blue litmus paper red.
- The strength of acids is measured on the pH scale. A pH value less than 7 indicates an acid, and the lower the number is, the stronger the acid.
- Acids have many important uses, especially in industry.