Select from the frequently asked questions below
- 2-methylpropane is an example of a type of alkane called a branched alkane.
- The IUPAC system of nomenclature for branching alkanes follows a set of steps which will be applied to the example molecule below.
- Find the longest continuous chain of carbon atoms in the molecule.
- The atoms attached to the parent chain are called substituents.
- Use a prefix to indicate the appearance of more than one of the same substituent in the structural formula.