Select from the frequently asked questions below
- A buffer is a solution of a weak acid or a base and its salt.
- Both components must be present for the system to act as a buffer to resist changes in pH.
- The buffer capacity is the amount of acid or base that can be added to a buffer solution before a large change in pH occurs.
- Commercial buffer solutions, which have a wide variety of pH values, can be obtained.
- Some common buffer systems are listed in the Table below:Table below:Some Common Buffers Guidelines.