Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Some elements lose one or more electrons in forming ions.
- These ions are known as “cations” because they are positively charged and migrate toward the negative electrode (cathode) in an electrical field.
- The term comes from a Greek word meaning “move” and was first coined by Michael Faraday.
- Cations play important roles in our daily lives.
- Sodium, potassium, and magnesium ions are essential for blood pressure regulation and muscle contraction.
- Calcium ion is an important part of bone structure.
- Sodium ions can used in water softeners to remove other harmful elements.