Q: What is Dalton's atomic theory?
What is Dalton's atomic theory?
- Dalton proposed his atomic theory in 1804.
- The general tenets of this theory were as follows:
- All matter is composed of extremely small particles called atoms.
- Atoms of a given element are identical in size, mass, and other properties. Atoms of different elements differ in size, mass, and other properties.
- Atoms cannot be subdivided, created, or destroyed.
- Atoms of different elements can combine in simple whole number ratios to form chemical compounds.
- In chemical reactions, atoms are combined, separated, or rearranged