Select from the frequently asked questions below
- An extensive property is a property that depends on the amount of matter in a sample.
- Silver, gold, and copper are excellent conductors of electricity, while glass and plastic are poor conductors.
- Other intensive properties include color, temperature, density, and solubility.
- Some properties of matter depend on the size of the sample, while some do not.
- The figure below illustrates the extensive property of volume.
- The pitcher holds approximately two quarts and the glass will hold about 8 ounces of milk.
What if a cup of milk and a gallon are different temperatures and they are mixed? Would temperature not be extensive?