Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Hydrocarbons are compounds that contain only carbon and hydrogen.
- Hydrocarbons are the simplest type of carbon-based compounds, but they can vary greatly in size.
- The smallest hydrocarbons have just one or two carbon atoms.
- The largest hydrocarbons may have thousands of carbon atoms.
- Hydrocarbons are nonpolar compounds, so they do not dissolve in water.
- Hydrocarbons are placed in two different classes: saturated hydrocarbons and unsaturated hydrocarbons.
- This classification is based on the number of bonds between carbon atoms.