Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Metals are good conductors of heat and electricity.
- Metals are also malleable, which means that they can be hammered into very thin sheets without breaking.
- Mercury is the only metal to exist as a liquid at room temperature.
- Mercury switches were once common, but are no longer used.
- New federally-mandated energy-efficient light bulbs that are now used contain trace amounts of mercury and represent a hazardous waste.
- The elements in blue in the periodic table below are metals.
- About 80 percent of the elements are metals and nonmetals.