Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Metric prefixes are used to distinguish between units of different size.
- These prefixes all derive from either Latin or Greek terms.
- For example, mega comes from the Greek word , meaning “great’Table below lists the most common metric prefixes and their relationship to the central unit that has no prefix.
- Most abbreviations are lower-case.
- We use “m” for meter and not “M”.
- When it comes to volume, the base unit “liter” is abbreviated as “L” and not“l”