Select from the frequently asked questions below
- A mixture is a combination of two or more substances in any proportion.
- This is different from a compound, which consists of substances in fixed proportions.
- A homogeneous mixture has the same composition throughout.
- A heterogeneous mixture varies in its composition.
- Three types of mixtures based on particle size are solutions, suspensions, and colloids.
Iron filings are attracted by a magnet. This is a physical property of iron but not of most other materials, including sand. How could you use this difference in physical properties to separate a mixture of iron filings and sand?