Select from the frequently asked questions below
- A loss of negatively-charged electrons corresponds to an increase in oxidation number, while a gain of electrons correspond to a decrease in oxidation numbers.
- The element or ion that is oxidized undergoes an increased oxidation number; the element that is reduced undergoes a decreased oxidation number.
- Table below summarizes the processes of oxidation and reduction.
- List the ways that the conversion of aluminum in the reaction above fits the definitions in the table.
- List ways the reduction of ferric oxide fits the definition of oxidation.