Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Rounding involves the adjustment of a value to account for the proper number of significant digits.
- To round a number, first decide how many significant figures the number should have.
- Once you know that, round to that many digits, starting from the left.
- If the number immediately to the right of the last significant digit is greater than or equal to 5, the lastsignificant digit is increased by 1.
- The more rounding is done, the less reliable to figure is.
- An approximate value may be sufficient for some purposes, but scientific work requires a much higher level of detail.