Select from the frequently asked questions below
- No one knows how or when life first began on the turbulent early Earth.
- Scientists think that it is extremely likely that life began and was wiped out.
- For something to be alive it must be organic, have a metabolism, and be capable of replication.
- To learn about the origins of life, scientists perform experiments.
- They study creatures that live in extreme environments.
- They look for traces of life that were left by ancient microbes.
- These include microscopic features or chemistry left by life.
- It is very difficult to distinguish these from non-biological features.